Wednesday, May 03, 2006

First Strike

Last night I put up my first piece of street art! It's at West 4th and 8th Ave right outside S'nice (delicious lesbian health food). I'm mad now that I was nervous and rushed through the job so that one corner is folded over.










"Bully" is one of my favorite pieces. I created it when I was slaving away for a particularly vacuous entertainment cable network and my cash was being budgeted down to the dollar. It was a point where I felt especially pushed around by money. Granted this has a lot to do with one's personal relationship/philosophy with money but in this country's hyper-consumer environment it's hard not to feel a little intimidated by it.

Beyond the personal level "Bully" works on the street level too. I think it'd be cool to use this image more in so called "transitional neighborhoods" (i.e. gentrification) where "money" is blatantly pushing people around.

No comments: